Edifying or Self-Serving?


 This has been on my mind lately. Are the things we say or "post" helping others? Are they positive messages? Or are we using the venue to brag and/or complain?

Edifying is described in the dictionary as this: "To instruct especially so as to encourage intellectual, moral, or spiritual improvement."

  1 Thessalonians 5:11 - "Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just in fact as you are doing." (NIV)

It goes on to say in verses 12-15 - "Now we ask you, brothers and sisters, to acknowledge those who work hard among you, who care for you in the Lord, and who admonish you. Hold them in the highest regard in love because of their work. Live in peace with each other. And we urge you, brothers and sisters, warn those who are idle and disruptive, encourage the disheartened, help the weak, be patient with everyone. Make sure nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always strive to do what is good for each other and everyone else."

I know I gravitate toward positive messages or postings. I tend to mentally "shut down" on negative messages or posts.

Well, it's just some food for thought so to speak. I hope you all are doing well, and that this post may help us all re-think what we say. My grandmother used to say that she didn't speak negative thoughts out loud because she didn't want to let those thoughts loose on the world. Wise words from a wise woman.

All my best,
Anna

Comments

E McL said…
Anna you are such a good woman. I love your sincere walk with God and delight in your friendship.

Popular Posts