Braised Beef Brisket


I always try to buy my brisket on sale. This week I found one on sale for $20. And this is by far the best brisket recipe I've ever tried. It  is our favorite. I have made it many times over and it's de-lish! Perfect for Sunday lunch, or to take to church for potluck. And the left-overs are just as tasty.
Plus, this carries us through the week with additional meals, so hey...win-win!

Ingredients:

Two 10.5-ounce cans beef consomme' ( I use beef broth)

1 1/2 cups low-sodium soy sauce

Juice of two lemons (I use bottled lemon juice. This works just as well)

5 garlic cloves, chopped (I use the bottled minced garlic. But be aware that 1/2 teaspoon is equal to 1 clove of garlic)

1 tablespoon liquid smoke (optional)

One 7 - 10 - pound beef brisket, untrimmed

Directions:
*On a side note - I always use an aluminum disposable pan for my brisket, it just makes life easier. Plus, I've found the lemon juice tends to eat away or corrode my cooking pans.

In the roasting pan, combine the beef consomme' and soy sauce

Halve the lemons, juice them. Add the juice to the pan

Next, chop the cloves of garlic and add to the mix.

If using liquid smoke, add it now.

Now place the brisket in the pan, fat side up. Ladle some of the liquid on top to begin the marinating process.


Next cover the pan tightly with foil. Place in the fridge for 24 or up to 48 hours.


Now when you're ready, place the brisket, still covered in foil into a 300* oven and cook for about 40 minutes per pound. (When making larger briskets, I like to cook mine overnight Saturday and have it for Sunday lunch)

When cooking time has passed, peel back foil and check to see if the brisket is fork-tender: stick two forks into the meat and pull them in opposite directions. The meat should come apart fairly easily. If you meet much resistance, cover with foil and return to the oven for 20 minutes.

When the meat is fork-tender, place it on a cutting board. With a sharp knife, cut away the large slab of fat from the top of the meat. Just keep going until most of the fat is trimmed.

With a large serrated knife, slice it against the grain.

Scoop up the sliced meat and return it to the pan, juice and all. This will make it extra moist. Cover with foil and place in the oven to warm up, if necessary.

Devour :) 

Leftover Idea: Use shredded lettuce over leftover brisket for nachos, burritos, or tacos.

Makes 12 servings

Recipe from The Pioneer Woman Cooks - Ree Drummond

Comments

Popular Posts