Martha Washington Candies




Valentine's Day is fast approaching and this is the time of year I really love! Well, actually now through Spring. There's just something therapeutic about baking/cooking and fitness. But fitness is another post. ;)

While I’ve seen these candies made every Christmas, I prefer to make them for Valentine’s Day. I was given this particular recipe from my mother-in-law who made them for many years. This recipe varies from others I’ve seen in that it calls for more butter, and no vanilla. I’ve also seen them made with coconut flakes and nuts. But out of all of them, these are my favorite. :)

Plus, we’re kickin’ it old school by using the paraffin wax which gives the candy a glossy finish. Here's how you make these.

Ingredients:

2 sticks butter, softened
2 lbs. powdered sugar (8 cups)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
24 oz. Semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 block paraffin wax

Directions:

Mix the butter, sugar and sweetened condensed milk together until smooth. (I had to change out my attachment on my mixer to a dough hook)


 Form into balls and place on a plate or cookie sheet and refrigerate until cold.



Melt paraffin wax and chocolate chips in double broiler.



Dip balls in chocolate. (I have found the easiest way to accomplish this is place the candy on a fork, and then use a spoon to "ladle" the chocolate over the candy. I have tried placing the candy in the chocolate to coat it, but it dissolves and loses it's shape And believe me, I've tried it every which way).


Now place the candy on baking sheet lined with parchment paper to cool.(Make sure you're alone in the kitchen, or these sweet lil' things will disappear before you can finish).


Don't worry - this is a messy process!


Repeat a second time.



Store in an airtight container.

I hope you all love these as much as I do. Happy Baking!

In warmth,
Anna

Comments

Popular Posts