Braised Beef Brisket


Braised Beef Brisket

Brisket is one of our favorite meats. I only buy it when it's on clearance because it is so costly. So needless to say when I do find it on sale, I splurge.
And I can't rave enough about this brisket recipe. It's the only one I use anymore when making brisket.
Here's what you'll need:

Ingredients:
2 cans beef broth
2 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 1/2 cups soy sauce
2 Tablespoons liquid smoke
1/2 cup lemon juice
10 pounds beef brisket


Directions:

Combine the first five ingredient in a large roasting pan. I prefer a disposable because 1) It makes clean up a lot easier. 2) The acidity in the lemon juice ate away at my metal roasting pan).
(I have made this recipe many times using just one ginormous pan, and it gets pretty hard to manhandle in and out of the fridge. Then in and out of the oven. Especially with all the liquid. So I prefer to divide it into two pans).
Stir liquid well. Place the meat (fat side up) in the roasting pan/s. You want to cook the brisket with the fat left on as to enhance the flavor. You will remove it after cooking. Cover tightly with foil.



Now place brisket in the refrigerator and let the meat marinate for 24 to 48 hours.
Preheat oven to 300*F. Place pans covered with foil on lower rack and cook approximately 40 minutes per pound.


When the brisket is fork-tender, pull out of the oven and let rest for 15 minutes. It will be too hot to slice.
This is what it will look like.


Once cool enough to handle, place the brisket on a cutting board fat side up. Remove fat, then slice.








You may store the meat in the pan with the juices. When any fat congeals after cooling, simply remove it. After slicing I store it without the juice. This recipe makes quite a bit of brisket so I like to take some and make chopped beef sandwiches out of it. Add some b-b-q sauce, and a plate of  sliced pickles and onions on the side. Yum!


Also, this brisket freezes beautifully.

Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from thepioneerwoman.

Comments

Popular Posts