How To Cook Chicken In The Crock Pot


Hi sweet friends! Oh how I've missed you these last few weeks. So much has been going on here including recently being sick with a sinus infection. (I'm bummed because I have now broken my 2+ year wellness streak) :( 
So needless to say that has really slowed me down and put me behind on a lot of things including my blog. I'm better now though and am playing catch up with everything. This is a post I've been wanting to share with you for a while and I thought this would be a perfect time to write it.

Time and convenience are always issues but cooking chicken is really quite easy and it also can save you money. Not only that, cooking it yourself tastes so much better than buying precooked chicken.  It’s well worth a little planning ahead.

(The picture below was BEFORE I realized I needed to use my larger crock pot)  ;)


Begin by rinsing the chicken under cool running water and then pat it dry with a paper towel.



Next coat the inside of the crock pot with non-stick spray. Then layer the chicken inside the crock pot being careful not to layer the pieces on top of each other (my crock pot holds three chicken breasts).


Slice lemon thinly and place the slices on top of the chicken breasts.




Add 1/2 cup of chicken broth to the chicken in the crock pot (you can use water to reduce the amount of sodium but I prefer the enhanced flavor that the broth gives).



 Place the lid on the crock pot and cook it on low for 5 hours.


Halfway through the cooking time (about 2 1/2 hours) turn the pieces of chicken over and continue cooking.



 
When the chicken is cooked thoroughly, remove it from the crock pot and slice (or dice) the pieces depending on what you are preparing it for. You can also freeze it after it has cooled completely for use later. I’m sure after you try this recipe that your chicken will taste so much better and that it didn’t take much more effort to prepare than pre-cooked chicken. 

*Always check the internal temperature of the meat with a food thermometer before serving it. The Food Safety Inspection Service of the USDA recommends cooking poultry to a minimum of 165* Fahrenheit in order to prevent a risk of food-borne illness.  
If you would like to learn more about food safety, you may do so at their website in the link below.
http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/mintemp.html


Love & Blessings!
Anna

Comments

Popular Posts