Slowing Down - Conquering Clutter and Reclaiming Simplicity


The weather here in the Texas Panhandle is definitely unpredictable to say the least. Last Monday we had highs in the mid 80's. Then, snow on the next day. Wednesday was sunny and beautiful, although the wind had a little bite to it. I have been experiencing spring fever because of this warm weather. Spring is my favorite time of the year. Nature is starting to bloom and the days are beginning to lengthen.

So, I spent the better part of the morning putting together my windowsill herb garden. This was something I'd been wanting to do for quite a long time, and just the act of creating this visual herb garden brought me joy. As evening fell, I stood back and soaked it in; the view, the feeling of accomplishment, and peace.

I have begun slowing down and just breathing. Life didn't give me much of an opportunity to do this before. We had children at home. Homework right after school. Activities to attend. Dinner to prepare. Evenings spent in preparation for school the next day. Bedtime routines for four children. At that time, there was no time (or even the thought of setting aside time) just to focus on the simpler things. To just be in the moment.

One morning recently I was watching Good Morning America and there was a segment on de-cluttering your life. This segment jump started me in wanting to make a change. Click the link below for a video clip of the segment.
The secret to de-cluttering your life

I began my journey six months ago when I saw the video (in the link above) on Good Morning America. I thought that is what I need to do. The children have all moved out, and it's just my husband and I. So, I've begun the process of purging things from around the house that I don't need. Or even want for that matter. Clothing, books, papers, kitchen items, bedroom items and so on. I'm using the KonMari method by Marie Kondo. This method incorporates visually looking at a item, and the act of touching the item. I suggest you examine this method more in depth if your interested, because it's a personal journey for each individual.

Everything is divided into categories, such as clothing, books, papers, miscellaneous and so on. To begin, place the items you want to consider purging onto the floor. Pick up each item one at a time. Ask yourself, does this item bring me joy? Does this item represent something significant to me? Are you inspired by this item? If the answer is yes, then you keep the item. What I love about this method, is that not only do you keep the item, you incorporate it into your everyday life/routine. I've starting using my good china (that I saved only for special occasions). Using beautiful tea towels which sat  neatly tucked away in my drawer. And that's just the beginning of this method. This technique also includes folding clothing, towels. etc. In other words, ways to help you enjoy the things of the present. To bring joy back into everyday.

There are two words to describe this transformation.
Life Changing.

You may purchase a copy of Marie Kondo's book from Amazon at the link below.
The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

I've also taken up Yoga and meditation which have been a huge boost to calming my mind.

If you would like to simplify your life starting today, click the link below for wonderful useful tips.
Simple Living Manifesto - 72 Ideas to Simplify Your Life

Slow down and enjoy your life, don't be a slave to it.

All my love to you in your journey to simplicity.

Anna

Comments

Popular Posts