Storing Nuts Properly - Kitchen Tip Tuesday and My Recipe For Homemade Turtle Candies


Earlier this month I was fortunate to happen upon pecans being sold in bulk. I look for after Christmas sales, and was elated to find pecans. Nuts are so expensive anyway, and if you can purchase them in bulk, it's far less costly.

I do a lot of baking, and making candy so I use pecans pretty regularly. And storing them is easy to do. First thing to know is store the nuts in an air-tight container so they maintain the proper moisture level. A plastic freezer bag will work just fine, too.

To preserve the quality of nuts, keep them away from onions, and other high-odor foods.

You can store pecans 6 months in the refrigerator, and up to a year (or more) in the freezer.

If your nuts start to taste stale, just toast them in a 350-degree oven for 10 minutes. That will bring back the flavor. This tip won't improve rancid nuts, though. Once the oils in the nuts go bad, there's no fixing it. However, just a little preperation with these storage tips, and you shouldn't have a problem.

I use pecans in so many things. Cookies, breads, salads and candies!

Below is the link to my post with my recipe for Homemade Turtle Candies. Enjoy!

Homemade Turtle Candies

Happy Baking!

In warmth,
Anna




Comments

Popular Posts