Reflections of a Proverbs 31 Woman


I read and re-read Proverbs 31 quite often. I prefer the way it is stated in the Amplified bible. However I do occasionally read it from The Message which has a more contemporary translation. There are 31 verses in Proverbs 31, and the last 22 verses speak to a woman’s character. I wanted to touch on the first three of these verses today.


What is she?
Proverbs 31:10 says “A capable, intelligent, and virtuous woman – who is he who can find her? She is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.”

Who is she?
Proverbs 31:11 states “The heart of her husband trusts in her confidently and relies on and believes in her securely, so that he has no lack of [honest] gain or need of [dishonest] spoil.”

What does she do?
Finally, Proverbs 31:12 says “She comforts, encourages, and does him only good as long as there is life within her.”


What is she? - To me, she is a helpmate to her husband. She is a great asset to him and of great value and worth in his eyes. Proverbs 18:22 says “He who finds a [true] wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the Lord.” I feel that a wife should strive to be a compliment to her husband at all times and seek to avoid ever being a liability to him.

Who is she? – I feel that she is a woman of integrity. She is a positive reflection on her husband. Proverbs 12:4 tells us “A virtuous and worthy wife [earnest and strong in character] is a crowning joy to her husband, but she who makes him ashamed is as rottenness in his bones.” We all fall short in the sight of God, but we should still strive to be virtuous. In doing that, we are doing something that is pleasing to God as well as our husbands.

What does she do? – I think she is organized and runs her household smoothly. Her husband has complete confidence in her ability as a wife and mother. She nurtures her family and makes her home a haven for all who enter it. Proverbs 19:14 says “House and riches are the inheritance from fathers, but a wise, understanding, prudent wife is from the Lord.” A husband and wife should work together as partners and not against each other as enemies. A wife that not only makes her home a joy for herself and her husband but also works at being a wise, understanding, and prudent wife is serving the Lord as well as being a good wife to her husband. This helps to create a strong marriage full of joy.


I will be the first to admit I have some serious self-doubt at times. Am I really being the best wife and mother I can be? Of course not, we all stumble. But we keep trying. I am so amazed that my husband is always confident in me, much more so than I am in myself. My husband recently bought this bracelet for me as a daily reminder since he knows how much Proverbs 31 means to me.


*These are some questions I have asked myself lately:

Do I spend time daily with God?
Do I try and keep strife out of our daily lives as much as possible?
Do I encourage my family? (Not nag) This is a biggie!


Thank you for letting me share my reflections on the Proverbs 31 woman with you. I welcome any comments or thoughts you may have or would like to share.

Until next time, may God bless you in your daily walk with Him.

All my love,
Anna

Comments

Popular Posts