Storing Asparagus...


Did you know there is a way to preserve asparagus? There is, and it will help your asparagus last longer and retain it's taste and appearance.

As soon as I can after purchasing asparagus, this is what I do.

I wash it thoroughly with homemade veggie wash. (It is quite simple to make and much less expensive than commercial varieties). For those of you that missed my earlier post on making your own veggie wash, it is equal parts vinegar to water. I just mix it in a spray bottle I have. (Shake the bottle before each use just to make sure the wash hasn't separated).

After having washed the asparagus, I start at the base and slightly bend the stalk going up it until it "snaps". Doing this will get rid off the tough end. After having snapped off the end, I put the asparagus in a glass of cool water and then store it in the fridge, The stalks will "drink" the water and retain their freshness for much longer.


Although asparagus doesn't tend to last very long at our house. :)

And did you also know that asparagus has beneficial anti-oxidant qualities? I will share a fabulous recipe for roasted asparagus in an upcoming post.

And be sure to check my blog again very soon as I am going to show you how to make your own hula hoop, and I sure hope you will join me in the 30 minute/30 day hula hooping challenge! :)

There is no reason getting into shape can't be fun. After all, we need to maintain our bodies since they are the temple of the Holy Spirit.

1 Corinthians 6:19 - "Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own;" NIV

I hope May is off to a good start for you! This year has gone by way too quickly for me!

Blessings!

Anna

Comments

E McL said…
Waiting for the recipe because I can't remember how you showed me. Thanks for the post!
asparagus said…
I love asparagus. I bought even the bigger freezer to keep them for the whole year.

Popular Posts