Frugal Fridays


Frugal Fridays came about years ago when our girls were little. My husband has always been supportive in my decision to be a stay-at-home wife and mom. And at that time he was in graduate school working toward his Masters degree, and then subsequently his PhD. So needless to say, we have been living very frugally for as long as I can remember.

I have always tried to make Friday evenings fun for our family. And since we were living on such a strict budget, I would try to come up with all kinds of different ideas to make Friday nights special.

One of our favorite Friday night things was to watch a movie. If we had gone to the movies, we were looking at a significant amount just to get in the door. And with refreshments, we could have easily dropped $40. So instead we either rented a movie, or found one at the local library (for free).

I have an antique popcorn popper that I use regularly. (I don’t know what I will do when it quits working). I tried to make the movie time special by having tickets for the girls to use when it was time. I found a roll of these pink tickets at an office supply store. I also came across these popcorn boxes at a discount store. We would buy candy once a week for the girls so it would be a treat.

Now that our girls are ages 17 and 16, they have their own plans on Friday nights. But hopefully we have given them good memories over the years.

Blessings,

Anna

Comments

E McL said…
I love dates in! You really know how to do it!
Anonymous said…
Going to the movies can be expensive. I'm fortunate to live in a town that actually has a local drive-in movie theater. It has two movie screens and for a price of a ticket you get to watch two movies. We back our truck up to the screen, throw in the air-mattress, open the ice-chest with our snacks and drinks and enjoy the shows. I'm sure my son will remember our driven in experiences.
http://www.theshowboatdrivein.com/

Popular Posts